Magical Books

There's a fabulous exhibition on at the Bodleian Library in Oxford right now, called Magical Books. I can't recommend it highly enough.


My favourite exhibits included pages from the Rawlinson Necromantic Manuscript (I kid you not); Alan Garner's beautifully handwritten manuscripts; Tolkein's handmade facsimile of the Book of Marzarbul ('they're coming!'); and a medieval book of divination, the Prognostics of King Socrates, which included a pair of interlocked leather cogs, called a volvelle, used to generate random numbers.

Oh, there's some J. K. Rowling 'abilia too, if such things float your boat. On till September, and well worth the trip to Oxford.

2 comments:

 

Featured post

Shroom: ten years on

I find it hard to believe but it's exactly ten years since my book Shroom: A Cultural History of the Magic Mushroom was published. Thou...

Popular Posts

Twitter Updates